Cyber extortion: to pay or not to pay?
7 December 2018 |
Cyber extortion is our theme this week; the crime involving an attack or threat of an attack coupled with a demand for money or some other response in return for stopping or remediating the attack.
This is the first part of a 2 part cyber extortion special where Tim Lambon, Director of the Global Response Team at NYA, discusses the different types of cyber extortion the criminals are exploiting, when to pay the ransom and when not, the negotiation process itself, how the perception of the value of data changes throughout the process and what’s the psychology behind it all…
Presenter: Anna Delaney
Music: The Pain, Nick Homes
Latest posts by Anna Delaney (see all)
- “Technology was supposed to enrich society but it’s disconnecting us from the real world” - 10th December 2018
- Cyber extortion: to pay or not to pay? - 7th December 2018
- “It’s going wrong at the human level” – Martin Smith MBE on inspiring culture change - 30th November 2018
- “They’re all at it – nation states, everyone” – Cath Goulding, Head of Cyber Security, Nominet - 28th November 2018
- Bond, bridges and bravery at Cyber Security Connect UK - 26th November 2018