How mandatory breach notification will help firms fight cyber crime
5 May 2016 |
Mandatory data breach notification regulations, like those introduced by the EU's new data protection rules, will help firms fight cyber crime more effectively, according to a security expert.
"I think if you start getting to that point where you've got that level of data you can start measuring it more effectively and preparing for it because you'll understand the types of things that can happen and where it's likely to come from," said Daniel Chalmers, head of IT risk at Standard Life, at The European Information Security Summit 2016.
He said that in countries with similar existing regulations, like Germany, organisations have "richer data" to base their cyber security decisions on.
Latest posts by Matt Smith (see all)
- 60 per cent of firms use advanced technology without proper security - 20th March 2017
- WhatsApp flaw let hackers hijack accounts with image trick - 16th March 2017
- 70 per cent of firms struggle to secure data outside the office - 16th March 2017
- Insecure code putting business data at risk - 14th March 2017
- Internet of Things ransomware on the rise - 14th March 2017