IoT / 5 top US cities targeted by ransomware
5 top US cities targeted by ransomware
12 September 2016 |
Ransomware is a menace to businesses and consumers alike, but whereabouts are users most being targeted by the threat?
New research from Malwarebytes has shown exactly where the ransomware is most frequently detected, with Las Vegas, Nevada topping the list.
"Las Vegas / Henderson lead all US cities in the number of overall ransomware detections, most detections per individual machine and most detections per population," it said.
"The metropolitan Las Vegas area experienced more than 300 times more detections than Fort Wayne, Indiana - number 10 on the list - and had 500 times the average detection levels of the 40 cities with the most ransomware."
Here are the top five cities in the US for ransomware detections:
- Las Vegas / Henderson, Nevada
- Memphis, Tennessee
- Stockton, California
- Detroit, Michigan
- Toledo, Ohio
For more from the research, see the Malwarebytes website.
Latest posts by Matt Smith (see all)
- 60 per cent of firms use advanced technology without proper security - 20th March 2017
- WhatsApp flaw let hackers hijack accounts with image trick - 16th March 2017
- 70 per cent of firms struggle to secure data outside the office - 16th March 2017
- Insecure code putting business data at risk - 14th March 2017
- Internet of Things ransomware on the rise - 14th March 2017